Going to the dentist isn’t a favorite for many, possibly because going to a periodontist specialist means you may have to have some major work done. Don’t get me wrong, periodontists are great, after all, they help you to keep your teeth if you have gum disease and this is important to the health of your teeth and your whole body. Fortunately, having to book an appointment with your periodontist for gum disease is avoidable. Here are some ways to avoid having periodontal work done.
- Know What Causes Gum Disease. Periodontitis is gum disease that is caused by not keeping your gums healthy and bacteria build up on your gums and teeth this bacteria can cause inflammation of the gums, also known as gingivitis.
- Lower Risk Factors You Have Control Over. There are some risk factors, like smoking and the medications you take that may increase your chances of periodontitis. With other factors, like diabetes, it helps to keep your mouth clean and free of infection and to manage your diabetes well.
- Brush your Teeth Regularly. Brushing will help reduce the amount of plaque that can build up, creating the environment in which periodontitis occurs.
- Floss your Teeth. Alongside brushing, flossing will help reduce the chances for creating an environment for periodontitis to develop. Also, rinsing your mouth with warm salt water or a dentist recommended mouthwash will help kill bacteria.
- Go to the Dentist Regularly for Preventative Cleanings. These cleanings are great for reducing the amount of build up on your teeth and lowering your chances of infection and cavities.
Periodontics is the specialty of preventing, diagnosing, and treating periodontal disease. Take advantage of your ability to prevent periodontal disease so you can avoid going to a periodontist for remediation of gum disease. If your gums bleed during brushing, if they are red and tender or if you have bad breath, mouth sores or loose teeth, contact us at Newport Dental Center.